RVer Etiquette… Does Not Require Class

1. Leaking Black Tank – There’s no easy way to say this, it’s not a simple DIY fix. If your black tank is leaking there’s a few things to consider.

1. Don’t try to fix it yourself, at an RV park.
  2. If you do try, maybe empty and clean it first.
  3. If you don’t follow rule #1 and 2 don’t be surprised when your full black tank dumps on the ground under your RV.
  4. If your full black tank dumps on the ground, don’t just spray it with a hose and dump a few gallons of bleach on the ground.
  5. The proper way to clean it up yourself can be found at https://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26007332/gotomsg/26008146.cfm
  6. Or maybe now would be the right time to call a professional. https://youtu.be/fgyn8CQRBI4
  7. And please, don’t get angry at your neighbors when they complain about the smell and unsanitary conditions. Especially if your DIY attempt caused the situation.
  8. We totally wouldn’t know about this from first hand experience in Houston February 2017. (It was not our black tank)

2. Encroachment– Walking on other people’s sites is a No-No. Or as our dogs would say, “Bad Human!” There is already not enough space, and to occupy someone else’s is just selfish.

3. Freeing The Beasty– Walking dogs off leash. This may be shocking to pet lovers, but the whole world isn’t dog friendly. Although our dogs are basically our kids, some people don’t view them the same way. They also run the risk of meeting another dog, friendly or not, and whose fault would that be? What if, heaven forbid, they met someone scared of dogs and were shot?

4. Bass up to 10– Noise levels should be kept at respectable volumes, RV walls are very thin. Most people are not RVing so they can hear all 7 of your Backstreet Boy albums. Respect your neighbors want for zen. Places to thump it out would be… away from the rv park. Children screaming, and dogs barking, are not exempt from this chapter either.

5. Pet doo- Clean up after your pets. It’s your choice to have them, and your responsibility clean up their doo. On the same note, most parks supply little baggies… Although, dog owners should view them as more of an aid then a handout. They are providing them to encourage you to pick it up if you forget your bags. Doggie doo bags can be ordered on Amazon for dirt cheap by the thousands. Use the parks if and when you have a whoopsie poopsie (that’s when you get caught bagless).

6. Trash. Yeah, it actually has to be said, sadly. Trash left out, no matter how innocent, invites furry creatures to your area. Generally the creatures leave the trash all over your site, and its totally obvious who committed this violation. Try not to leave it by your door outside your RV. Also, people don’t pay for an RV site to see trash everywhere.

7. Excessive Fires. We have all probably been to the place where the spots are just a little too close, and Mr. Or Mrs. Bonfire arrives. A few issues with this. First- Close quarters and tinder boxes (RVs) don’t mix well. If you light someone’s home on fire… well you’ll “want a get away.” Second- RVs are not air tight, and your need to smudge the neighborhood doesn’t trump anyone’s want to breathe in their own home. We once saw a guy leave a fire burning on an island while we had 40+ mph winds all day. That night a burning log fell out and burned some of the grass before my husband sprinted out of our RV to put it out. The guy was a total pyro. We had also not had rain in some crazy 50+ day record, the grass was ready to burn. If you have a small fire… do not leave it unattended. This type of etiquette party crasher should also include smokers… small spaces, big smells, not cool.

8. Toys– If you have children, please keep their toys corralled on your site. No one wants to wake up in the morning and trip on toys, or worse step on a lego. Yeah… not cool.

9. Bathing Pets– I don’t care how tiny and adorable your Yorkiepooshnookems is. Don’t Bathe them in an RV Parks shower or facilities unless they have a dog wash station! Some might see this as a brilliant opportunity to not have to deal with the mess in their RV. In reality, they usually end up doing the doo in the shower with yooooou. Gross.

10. Parking Don’t occupy your neighbors spot. If your site has your door facing your neighbors door in close proximity, ask if you can have a different site. It’s super awkward to have to see someone you barely know everytime you open the door. Try to give, and keep, your privacy. Some people don’t RV to party.

11. Hanging Laundry– Hanging a wet towel in the sun is one thing. But thongs, bras, and more private clothing items do not need to be the main attraction of the park. You can hang them in the privacy of your RV. I know some don’t want to pay for dryers or buy a dryer. If you choose that route, maybe keep it in a not visible area?

12. Drive slowly. I mean you should listen to those 5 or 10 mph signs. RV Parks don’t always have big streets. If you hit someone’s child, dog, spouse, etc… let’s just say you have changed lives forever, and in a pretty terrible way. Even a pet owner is not going to forget the deed.

14. Allergies HIPA basically guarantees I have no clue what you are deadly allergic to. It requires conversation. We keep our pets on short leashes and keep them to ourselves. In a emergency situation, this is where pet owners get a bad rep. I don’t want you to die, and I don’t want my pets to die… If you are seriously that allergic please speak up, kindly. Also, pet owners who are sheltering their pets in an emergency, keep your pets to yourself for everyone else’s sake. Multiple pets in a shelter for a tornado or hurricane etc, is not social play time. Pets go through the emergency too, and Fido can become Kujo very quickly.

15. Judging– Don’t be so quick. If someone is usually a great neighbor and all the sudden they are running their generator every night, take a minute to see if they need help. On the same token, don’t avoid seeking help for a week and continue to run your generator all night. Being cheap shouldn’t wreck your neighbors sleep.

16. Mooching- Using fellow campers private grills, chairs, hoses, or any other items without having some kind of permission is just violating. Don’t be that guy. Our drinking water hose is not for your shoes to get cleaned off with. If you would like to borrow something just ask. Most RVers we have met are so incredibly nice, I hope that never gets spoiled!

17. Distraction– When someone is hitching up to leave or coming in, this is absolutely not the time to be social. Distractions can lead to their process being disturbed, which can lead to very expensive or serious accidents. Things break easily enough on RVs. Try to say good-byes or hellos when they are not doing something so safety concerning.
I’m sure there are many more we will learn from the more informed RVers! If you have any input please don’t hesitate to leave a comment. Just please don’t knock on our door.

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “RVer Etiquette… Does Not Require Class

1. hdindoorstorage says:

I love this. I especially like #2. I feel like I’m pretty easy going. But when someone cuts through my site. I feel like the Incredible Hulk (I FEEL — I stew with a tight smile on my face.) I wish everyone followed these.

Liked by 1 person

2. Daz says:

Why dump on people diy’ing? It means do it yourself, not do a shitty job. Do it right and it’s not a problem. You can plastic weld a holding tank back to 100%.
    No you shouldn’t do it in an rv park.
    No you can’t do it overnight.
    No you can’t do it without a completely dry and as clean as you can get it tank.
    Yes it can be diy’d.
    All you’ve mentioned above is just common courtesy. In short…..don’t be a shitty neighbour.

All puns intended.

Liked by 1 person

3. Andrew says:

Here is another, more for the benefit of campground owners, but this can impact customers as well as costs would be impacted.
    Be mindfull of what you put down the sewer pipe at your site. A few of the items I have heard about from campground owners and managers: rocks, paper towels, sanitary napkins, Baby wipes, cigars, plastic bags, latex gloves. These don’t break down and can clog pumps and leaching fields. The result is money being spent on wast treatment and not on amenities.

Liked by 1 person

4. Ellen says:

Great list! Thanks for mentioning unknown allergies 😉 I’m with W-dawgs in that we haven’t (in 8+ years) seen any mooching either, but we have heard of things going missing. We’re out here in the desert SW at the moment and would add that the speed limit isn’t just for safety — it’s to help keep blowing dust and sand out of everyone’s eyes and ears and rigs. Nothing worse than sitting in your rig, window open, nice breeze, then have somebody whoosh by, scaring up dust and microbes and sending them right through the open window. Ew!

Liked by 1 person

5. Wandering Dawgs says:

Great post! Thanks for posting this list. All of these are just common courtesy and it’s beyond me why some people just don’t get it. Dogs off leash and not picking up after them are my top peeves. Right after that is people walking through our site. Distraction is a big one for us, too. When someone comes up to talk while we are hitching or unhitching we usually forget to do something important! We have not encountered some of the other items on your list. We’ve never, ever encountered mooching! And except for one or two rare exceptions, I feel like we could leave anything outside our camper when we go out and it will be there when we return.

• Hebard's Travels says:

Thank you! We have never had it happen to us, but there was a couple it happened to at one park we went to. Nothing was stolen, it was just there things were suddenly community property. I don’t know what I would do, obviously if you need a way to cook, please use the grill, but if someone were to make a habit instead of getting their own it would bug me. The whole don’t make your problem someone else’s problem thing. At least that’s how we were raised, lol!

Liked by 1 person

6. Margaret R says:

Sadly I have seen the deterioration of camping manners over the last several years. Camping used to be a polite society enjoying some time outdoors. We have had numerous people walk between our camper and the fire pit to cross our lot.

• Hebard's Travels says:

That’s so frustrating, and as t night a security issue. Do they enforce rules where you are at? I have not seen very many places that enforce rules yet,. Furthermore they are mostly work-campers who don’t enforce much at all.

• Kana Smith says:

I’m surprised that in your experience the worker-campers aren’t “enforcers”… In our park, we (yes, I’m a worker-camper) are super-invested in keeping things running happily because this is first & foremost OUR neighborhood! Our own homes are sprinkled throughout the park, and we keep a close eye on what’s going on around us—and communicate among ourselves so we all know when there’s something that needs watching. I guess I just assumed most worker-campers would be invested in the neighborhood that way too, but then, I haven’t experienced a lot of different parks… Now I’m curious! 🙂

• Hebard's Travels says:

We have only been to 5 parks so far so I guess it’s not a well rounded opinion yet but a lot of these things came from horror stories others would tell us about too! I’m relieved you guys enforce the rules. After all, when you sign up for it, you are signing up to follow them, lol!

• Ellen says:

Margaret — We’ve seen the same. We try to remember the huge influx of newbie RVers that have come onto the scene. Since the economy has rebounded since 2009 or so, more and more RVs are leaving dealerships for someone’s private driveway (or storage spot). More people than ever are seeing the country in their RV — which means chances are good the “common” courtesies are lessons to be learned for some people.

Liked by 1 person

• Hebard's Travels says:

My husband and I are extremely new to all of this, we moved into our RV April 2016, and tried our hardest to figure out the community before we even moved in just so that we wouldn’t be unintentionally offending people in the park. I know not everyone makes the effort, but it was something important to us because we wanted to belong to that sense of community.

Liked by 1 person