Tornados and RV Parks

screenshot_20170116-081148.png

**Main point for those in a hurry… Surprisingly, many places in the US do not have Tornado Sirens. Since we left Kansas, we have not been to an area that has them. You need a weather app, or even better, a weather radio that’s on at all times in your RV. I cannot tell you how many extra minutes to get to shelter our weather radio has given us. It probably means the difference between getting our dogs out and not.**

This morning at 7:30 we awoke to our phone’s loud weather alerts screaming at us. Tornado Warnings for Houston, Texas were displayed on the screen. We quickly got dressed, I packed some water and food in my purse, and we got the dogs leashed up to leave. We jumped in the SUV and headed for the RV Park Office.

We walked in with another woman, and we asked where we were supposed to shelter. The woman behind the desk immediately started looking in a large protocol book. However, the gentleman behind the desk just kept repeating that dogs were not allowed in the club house. I told him several times if he did not allow our dogs to shelter with us we would be leaving the park. Finally, the woman in the office told us that we could shelter in the club house bathrooms. They still didn’t say that our dogs were allowed though.

These types of rules are dangerous. They force victims in the path of a tornado to choose between leaving their pets outside and sheltering alone, or to not take shelter at the park. If we had left, we would have had to drive through the storm to try to find somewhere else.
Thankfully it did not come to us leaving the park. We ignored the office manager, and choose to shelter with our dogs. We would rather deal with their consequences, then the consequences of our dogs being injured or killed. We stayed until the National Weather Service let the warning expire, then returned to our RV.

Our dogs were very well behaved. They did not bark, cry, whine, or bother anyone. In fact there was another dog who did bark a little, and no one was mad about it. A small kitty was sheltered in a kennel in the bathroom, we were careful to keep the dogs away from the kitty so they didn’t upset her. The residents were all very nice about everything.

A tornado did touchdown approximately one mile to the north of us. Thankfully it was small, and caused minor damage to a few businesses and homes. However, you only know if a tornadic storm is bad or not until after it’s passed.

RV Park: Fallbrook RV Resort, Houston, Texas. They do not have a shelter, we were asked to shelter in the men’s and women’s bathrooms in the club house. There are no tornado sirens in this area.

One thing we were told recently is if the club house will not let the pets in, find a church. They are typically more accepting.

The video we were attempting to post this morning:

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Tornados and RV Parks

1. Ellen says:

So glad the tornado missed you and did little damage where it did hit. I completely understand about the “no dogs” policy. My husband and I are extremely allergic to dogs and cats. A lot of people think our avoidance of them is because we don’t like them, but it’s because they are truly dangerous to us. In an emergency situation such as a tornado, there’s not much anyone can do — we would hope (if we had to share a shelter with pets) that pet owners would be mindful of people like us and, as you noted, keep your animals close to you and away from others who can’t be near them. You have a right to your pets — we have a right to live away from them. While you needed to protect your animals, one of you could have remained outside the clubhouse with them. This sounds harsh, but we already avoid all social events in places like that because of dander and animal hair and other microscopic things animal owners leave in their wake. Please don’t make our lives any more secluded than they already are. Abiding by “no pet” areas and leash rules helps people like us enjoy the same areas. There’s a happy medium — we just have to find it.

Liked by 1 person

• Hebard's Travels says:

Absolutely. Thank you for sharing this. We do not have allergies and this did not come to mind. We will try to seek out places that have a men’s and women’s restroom or similar too keep them away from anyone who could be harmed. I have worked with disaster response and I will always value a human life over a pet, even though we love them dearly. I would not want to cause a dangerous situation for anyone! I’m so sorry that you guys suffer from this, I know it must be challenging. If you have any other ideas that we could keep in mind I would love to hear them 🙂

• Ellen says:

Thanks for your understanding! When we dodge animals or remind people to leash their pets (in leash-required areas), they often say, “He/She’s friendly — won’t bite,” not realizing even a friendly rub or lick could send someone to the hospital. We wouldn’t dream of going into a dog park or leash-free area only to complain about it — we only ask those who have pets to adhere to the rules that do exist. You’re right — we give up a lot already (for example, there are many stores we don’t shop in and there’s a particularly “dog friendly” town we used to love to shop in but now there are so many dogs in all the stores we don’t even go there anymore). Thank you for helping to spread the word about the need to be considerate of others. It means a lot!

Liked by 1 person

• Hebard's Travels says:

No problem at all, I appreciated the new prespective. I hear people say she’s friendly or not all the time and I think it’s that assumption that everyone in our culture loves pets. Not to say you don’t but loving them isn’t the point. 🙂 I’m really happy you spoke up about it. I would never wish this on anyone in a million years, especially with the culture norms today.
        I’ve heard people complaining a lot lately about why dogs/pets aren’t allowed in restaurants or grocery stores or they are getting fluffy the Internet certificate so they can be their “therapy dog”. It bothers me, and I love my dogs to death! I don’t want people’s pet dander and hair in my food just like I don’t want their hair or skin cells. What do you do in an emergency, can you even use an epi pen or similar, or do you have to go to the hospital?

• Ellen says:

Not sure if this response will follow your recent comment… but to answer your question, no, we don’t carry epi-pens (a lot of reasons for that). We do carry “jogger fogger” which we were told about by a sheriff in Montana when we reported dogs chasing us (he actually said if we even shot the dogs he wouldn’t have taken the call, but who wants to shoot a dog?!?). He said he’s used the small canister pepper spray on dogs that have chased him in the patrol car and they never did it again. Gives the animal a negative enough experience (you can imagine) that they won’t do it again but it doesn’t hurt them in the long run. We now carry jogger fogger whenever we’re out running fitness trails, hiking, or in places where we think people might be likely to ignore “no pets” or “leashes required” rules.

What I really want to add here is that we don’t blame the pets at all — they are only doing what animals do. Irresponsible or thoughtless owners are the ones we hold accountable — and hope no animal has to get hit with jogger fogger because its owner thought the rules didn’t apply to him or her.

Thanks again for having this conversation! You’d be amazed at how many people just get defensive.

Liked by 1 person

• Hebard's Travels says:

It’s an emotional conversation and I think if people stopped to look at both sides I think they could come to some sort of plan to keep everyone safe. I have years of experience with animals, and working in the animal industry you surprisingly learn a lot about people. I’m sorry I don’t know much about human medicine unless it’s similar to vet med, lol, so I wasn’t sure if epi pens would even work or not. Jogger Fogger is an interesting idea. I know you have to protect yourselves. A wild animal is another story but it is sad people don’t take the responsibility they should sometimes with their pets. Maybe were just over protective of our own dogs but after seeing the dog fights, human dog bites, etc at the animal hospital, I don’t even take my dogs to dog parks. The story usually goes “he/she is so great at home and we went to the dog park…”.

I’m glad that you wanted to have it. I appreciate your prespective. I don’t know if you saw the etiquette post I just made last night, but I may have added a etiquette tip due to this conversation 😉

2. aelkins1 says:

My jaw dropped open as I watched your vlog — you MUST be at one of the Quality RV Resorts in the area. The dog wash and the area I can see on your video is laid out exactly the same as the Quality Resort we’re at (Green Lake) in San Antonio. At first, I exclaimed to my hubby “Holy cow, these guys are in our park!”

The tornado warnings didn’t get this far south, thankfully.

• Hebard's Travels says:

We are in Houston at Fallbrook RV but it is owned by Quality RV resorts! We were looking at staying at the one in San Antonio on our way West! How funny! We got very lucky that tornado passed to the north. We are actually from Kansas (I am/Husband is from Seattle), and we have seen far too many tornados up close. I’m sure the people in the office did not understand why we demanded our dogs be sheltered too. What a week! Thanks for reading our article, I hope you enjoyed it. Are you staying in TX for long?